[Sca-cooks] Obscene medieval pastries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Nov 12 21:02:43 PST 2014

It will be a pastry originating as "mulloi", a cake shaped like female
genitalia made of wheat flour, honey and sesame seeds for the Feast of
Demeter in Antiquity.   From the little I know of them, these cakes were
likely shaped in a mold before baking.

Crème frite (crema fritta in Italy) is a starch fortified custard rolled in
bread crumbs and fried.  While I don't have a history of the dish to hand,
it is likely that this (or a variant thereof) is being used as a filling.

Bear

<<< The most direct translation of this is:

"Let it be made shaped like [female genitals] stuffed with fried cream, if
there is any; and if no cream is found, take fine cheese and put in nice
pieces,  and some sugar."

(I have to admit this makes me think of a taco.)  >>>

I don’t see tacos. Maybe our visions of “tacos” differs. Thin, corn
tortillas are rather different from puffy flour ones or other flatbread.

But what is “it”?  A bread?, a pastry? Is this something that sits flat, but
you have to look at it edge on to see the illusion? like two overlapping
layers of pastry dough?
Sounds like the beginning of an adult themed illusion food feast. :-) But
not enough info to work from. I don’t have any copy of Taillevent.

And what would be meant by “fried cream”? A whipped cream that is a bit
dried out?

Stefan