[Sca-cooks] Obscene medieval pastries

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 12:40:55 PST 2014

Jim  Chevallier said:
>> The eighteenth century writer Le Grand d'Aussy rails against obscene
>> medieval pastries:
>>
>> "Can one believe that a time existed in France when the most obscene forms
>> were given to table pastries, and the foulest names.

And Stefan replied:
> Well, what is considered obscene can differ quite a lot from period to period. I suspect
> that many of the Victorians would be aghast at many of our modern television shows.

One doesn't have to go back over 100 years. Americans of the 1960s would be aghast at most modern TV shows, even those on broadcast channels, which are more... uh... circumspect... that those on cable channels.

For example, a married couple had to be shown sleeping in separate beds with something clearly separating them, usually a night table with a lamp on it.

And when Lucille Ball was pregnant in 1952 (yes, not the 60s, but not long before) the word "pregnant" could not be said on her TV show.

Granted this doesn't have much to do with SCA-period pastries.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM!)