[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 16 12:57:48 PST 2014

Modernly, apple cider vinegar seems to be the vinegar of choice.  Wine
vinegar is a bit more problematic as there is divided opinion about using
anything made from wine and there appears to be general agreement that any
wine vinegar used must have turned naturally from wine to vinegar and not
have been processed to produce vinegar.

Not really an area of expertise for me, so perhaps someone will provide a
better comment.

Bear

  I've now tried a few more dishes from al-Warraq, and I have a question
which is germane to this one: when the recipe calls for 'vinegar', what do
you use? I've used verjuice, and it still seems very strong-tasting when
done; wine vinegar would presumably be stronger still. White vine, or at
least fruit-derived vinegars seem to be what's called for, though, looking
at Chapter 21 and the glossary (p 576-577, in Nasrallah's translation).

   Le meas,
   Aodh