[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 10:33:29 PST 2014

Replying to a mail from some months ago here, apologies:

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 2:00 AM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
wrote:

> My daughter was head cook a while ago for a feast largely from al-Warraq.
> One thing she did was khall wa zayt, which is a cold vegetable dish to be
> served with chicken. We also did "A cold dish of dressed carrots" (p. 228)
> and it was quite good.

  I've now tried a few more dishes from al-Warraq, and I have a question
which is germane to this one: when the recipe calls for 'vinegar', what do
you use? I've used verjuice, and it still seems very strong-tasting when
done; wine vinegar would presumably be stronger still. White vine, or at
least fruit-derived vinegars seem to be what's called for, though, looking
at Chapter 21 and the glossary (p 576-577, in Nasrallah's translation).

   Le meas,
   Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where