[Sca-cooks] vinegar and verjuice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 15:20:59 PST 2014

Aodh asked:
<<< I've now tried a few more dishes from al-Warraq, and I have a question
which is germane to this one: when the recipe calls for 'vinegar', what do
you use? I've used verjuice, and it still seems very strong-tasting when
done; wine vinegar would presumably be stronger still. White vine, or at
least fruit-derived vinegars seem to be what's called for, though, looking
at Chapter 21 and the glossary (p 576-577, in Nasrallah's translation). >>>

One thing to remember is that there was no standard strength for vinegar in period, unlike today when vinegar, at least most table vinegars, are watered down to be 5% solutions.

At one time I did find some apple cider vinegar that was stronger than 5% but it is uncommon.

So if you think that it is too strong, try watering it down some.
Here are some of our past discussions on vinegar:
vinegar-msg (128K) 3/24/12 Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

I’ve seen mixed messages on whether balsamic vinegar dates to period or not.

But if al-Warraq is a moslem source, would have they have had wine vinegar? Perhaps that is the reason for fruit juice wines.

Here’s some of our discussion on verjuice.
verjuice-msg (164K) 11/24/13 Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/verjuice-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com