[Sca-cooks] vinegar and verjuice

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 16 16:09:08 PST 2014

The term "balsamic" doesn't appear until the 18th Century.  However, there
is a reference to "that vinegar" in Abbot Donizone di Canossa's "Vita
Mathildis" (Life of Matilda) of 1046 in a story of Grandcount Boniface di
Canossa providing vinegar to Emperor Henry II.  The location and history of
the estate suggest that this was balsamic vinegar.  And in 1556, a volume
entitled "La Grassa" provides a classification of vinegars that likely
demonstrates (I haven't verified the contents or encountered a source I
consider authoritative) that balsamic was being produced at the time.

Bear

I’ve seen mixed messages on whether balsamic vinegar dates to period or not.

Stefan