[Sca-cooks] Period foods for non-SCA pot lucks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:58:59 PST 2014

Aodh suggested Blaunchyd Porray:
<<< There is a particular leek dish, which I've had from Pleyn Delite, called
Blaunchyd Porray. The first time I made it, I had a rough time getting it
to the table, because the kitchen staff kept "making sure it was still
good", and I've fed it to people who are not remotely interested in
historical food with considerable success. It's essentially leeks in almond
milk, or alternately, leeks in cream with ground almond. >>>

I couldn’t find my copy of Pleyn Delite, but I did find this recipe online.
For instance, http://www.helencallaghan.co.uk/2013/03/13/medieval-cookery-iii-blaunchyd-porray-creamed-leeks/ has a reasonable report with photographs.

I find this method of making almond milk a bit crude, but if it works… And maybe we have the Pleyn Delite authors for the idea of mixing cream and crushed almonds to make almond milk.

I don’t see it in the original recipe, but I have a lot of problems reading and interpreting the original text.

For blaunchyd porray.

Take thykke mylke of almondes dere
And heke hedes þou take with stalk in fere,
Þat is in peses þou stryke.
Put alle in pot, alye hit ilyke
With a lytel floure, and serve hit þenne
Wele soþun, in sale, before gode menne.

However, I do often skip over recipes asking for almond milk because I’m in too much of a hurry to make it the usual way(s). I’ll have to keep this recipe in mind when I find leeks in the store, even if not for a pot luck.

It does sound like a good side dish for smoked turkey or some kind of roast beast or bird.
---------
My Savory Tosted Cheese went over okay this afternoon but being on the dessert table (where the crock pot could be plugged in) meant that many people were stuffed by the time they got to it.

And oh yes, it would help to secure the crock pot in the car. Savory Tosted Cheese can make a mess when it sloshes out. Or don’t make sharp turns…

I guess I’ll finish up the remainder tonight.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris