[Sca-cooks] Holiday

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Fri Nov 28 01:11:47 PST 2014

Only the 4 of us (3 family, one friend) and I have 2 VERY picky eaters, so we don't venture far beyond the most conventional menu!

Turkey (Diestel organic, better than Shelton we think… Mr Supertaster hasn't been able to identify what exactly the lingering flavor is in the Shelton's that is NOT present in the Diestels; probably something in the feed???), but we have definitely switched over to Diestel-only. Plain salt and spices brine.

Dressing in the turkey, home antique yellow delicious apple chunks, homemade turkey stock, parsley from the garden, onion but no celery…

Roasted sweet potato; roasted potatoes from under the turkey,

Corn on the cob, broccoli steamed plain, some bread from the freezer (home-made, 7-grain sourdough). Simple crudités: carrots, celery, black olives.

"My" homemade cranberry sauce (tangerine zest and juice, Major Gray's and maple syrup, walnuts).

For PICKY EATER #2, sonny boy, we had re-heated KFC potato wedges and beef pasties. Meat ground with the new Kitchen-Aide 6000 Pro (a big prezzie for ourselves a few weeks ago!) (we also mixed the sugar cookies in it the other night, and it went swimmingly, if floury-ly! lots flooded out the top! )

Dessert was… very good local chocolate ice cream, our house sugar cookies, Walker's good plain shortbread, and a 5" pumpkin pie and a 2" chocolate cheesecake for me from the local yuppie grocery's bakery. And the best dark-chocolate-almonds I've ever found, maybe as good as the super-duper Japanese ones.

I have definitely overdone it, as have we all, I think.

Sent our guest home with her preferred dark meat, roast potatoes and cranberry sauce.

Watched the first 2 Doctor Who's of the just-finished season; we'd been waiting to get together with Guest, it's our usual media fare for these occasions. On Christmas, we will watch the Christmas Special, 8-).  We'd better get going on this Capaldi season though, we only have 4 weeks!

Will probably not be doing stock from this bird, have a ton in the freezers, more than enough to get through this season! Maybe the Christmas bird. Also got ourselves a mini-chest freezer about a month ago, and it's just AMAZING how quickly it filled up and how useful it's being! Hamburger and beef are freezing really rock hard and no signs of oxygen darkening, etc etc. The fridge freezer is OK for everyday, but a REAL freezing freezer is turning out to be absolutely amazing.

Hope you all had a good day and will have a better weekend.

Chimene et al.