[Sca-cooks] Steamed Puddings was Re: Holiday

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 28 18:05:00 PST 2014

While more common in the 18th and 19th Centuries.  Boiled or steamed pudding
start showing up in Elizabethan cookery.  For example, Markham's recipe for
rice pudding has it packed in an intestine and boiled.  Apparently, the
invention of pudding cloths and sealable pudding forms is somewhat later.

As I recall, there was an extensive conversation on this list about the
evolution of puddings about five years ago.

Oh, and if one considers blancmange a pudding, Roman placenta is probably
also in the running.

Bear

Christianna said:
<<< I just experimented with my first steamed pudding a la Mrs. Cratchitt,
and
it is wonderful!  I have to wait to make the hard sauce until I get to my
TDay destination >>>

Steamed puddings are post-period, Georgian, right? Do most steamed puddings
use a hard sauce, or is that the most traditional?

Stefan