[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:11:24 PST 2014

I did a quick check of the meat days section of de Nola.  There are at
least seven recipes in which he describes grinding almonds with broth of
hen or mutton, then straining it, and calls the resulting liquid "almond
milk".  (I am not counting recipes which merely contain ground almonds as
an ingredient.)  Most of the other recipes calling for almond milk do not
specify what liquid is to be used in making it.

Here's one example, from recipe #18 Pottage of Sheep's Trotters (my
translation):

"Take peeled almonds and grind them well in a mortar; and then blend them
with good mutton broth, and then strain them through a woolen cloth.  And
put this almond milk in a pot, and put ground ginger within it in such a
manner that it will taste of ginger..."
http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
It may be a cultural difference.  Any of the Italian experts want to chime
in here?

Brighid ni Chiarain