[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:46:54 PST 2014

Liutgard wrote:
 >I think it is fairly safe to say that almond milk in period is
 >generally *not* made with broth, as it is most often seen in
 >Lenten/fast day recipes, and those days preclude meat products. Which
 >includes broth.

Suey responded:
 >Quite the contrary, almond milk was made with fish broth on fish days.
 >I don?t know how many recipes I have published in my blog that include
 >almond milk but if you search this I think you will find that all as
 >of to date include a meat broth. I am talking Sent Sov?, Nola,
 >Al-Andalus 13th century and Fadalat as my subject is Spanish. By meat
 >I mean fish, poultry and four legged animals.

Perhaps the problem lies in the definition of "almond milk". What I saw
on Suey's blog site were a number of dishes of chicken or other meats
that included almonds, ground up, and mixed with a liquid such as broth.
Suey uses the term "almond milk" in many of these titles, but I don't
think that most of us would call what is in the recipe "almond milk".

While Wikipedia is not always an authoritative source, its definition of
"almond milk" is what Liutgard mentioned. (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_milk)

Suey's blog doesn't contain any original recipes although the sources
are given. Ground almonds in a meat recipe certainly doesn't fit the
commonly accepted definition of "almond milk". The problem appears to be
in definition and translation.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming