[Sca-cooks] Parsnips

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 06:13:51 PDT 2014

Greetings! Bear wrote: "Mellita Weiss Adamson and Alan Davidson both
state that parsnips were used for sweetening in Medieval Europe, but
neither provides a reference to support the statement.  Davidson does
provide a reference to Dorothy Hartley's Food in England, 1954, for a
reference as to parsnips being used in the base for some puddings for
the sweet flavor they impart to the honey (or at least as I understand
the reference).  I don't have access to a copy of the work, so I haven't
been able to verify the full reference.  Hartley's work is on
"traditional" English cooking, so the reference may or may not be
within period."

I scanned the Hartley's 1954 pudding chapter for any mention of parsnips
and came up with nothing. This is what she says in her section on
Parsnips: "It was the sweet flavour of the parsnip that was so much
liked...It often figures in sweet dishes, and the green tops were fed to
cows as late as the nineteenth century...Also, it is the type of
sweetness that mingles with honey and spice, so that some boiled plum
and marrowfat puddings, flavoured with spice and sweetened with honey,
were made with a parsnip base."

Note that Hartley says those puddings were sweetened with honey, not
parsnips, although their sweet flavor might have contributed when used
as a base for the plum and marrowfat puddings. Might this have been what
was referred to?

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming