[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 06:39:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

If you are interested in the subject, you might take a look at
> https://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/199505/on.the.flatbread.trail.htm
> . I do recommend the Flatbreads and Flavors mentioned in the article as a
> good modern text on flatbreads.

I'll take a look at those, thank you!

Now, why do you consider plain rice as "somewhat out of period."

Well, the shortcut is that someone said so on Facebook a few weeks back. :)
More usefully, I see mentions throughout the text of serving with bread, or
of including rice IN a dish, but none of serving with rice, and no recipes
that we would describe as being a rice dish on its own. These do occur in
later period books, such as al-Baghdadi.

There is, of course, the argument that there would be no need to include a
recipe for something as basic as plain rice, but al-Warraq is very careful
to cover everything else in detail - right down to the ma' wa milh recipes;
meat simmered in salted water.

Le meas,
Aodh