[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 14:34:26 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

Ah, the someone averred defense.  Not necessarily a successful play on this
> list.  A number of us like references, footnotes and bibliography.

  The someone was Urtatim, your honour, though I cannot find the actual
reference. Facebook is less useful in terms of finding old discussions than
might be hoped.

> Given and accepting these points as fact, the lack of a simple rice dish
> in al-Warraq might be attributed to the cost of rice in comparison to wheat
> and barley.  The speculation might be further reinforced by comparative
> cost data, contemporary recipes for simple boiled cereals, other other
> observations from the period.  Not an area where I am familiar with the
> available resources.

 Given that al-Warraq isn't holding back on any of the other ingredients, I
don't think cost was a particular factor for him. However, I'm perfectly
willing to concede that the rice can be justified; I was going to serve it
in any case. It's other side dishes with which I am more concerned at this
stage.

 Le meas,
 Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where