[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Sep 1 16:10:32 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----

Ah, the someone averred defense.  Not necessarily a successful play on this
> list.  A number of us like references, footnotes and bibliography.

  The someone was Urtatim, your honour, though I cannot find the actual
reference. Facebook is less useful in terms of finding old discussions than
might be hoped.

------------------

And once you define the source, it becomes a bibliography entry.

------------------

> Given and accepting these points as fact, the lack of a simple rice dish
> in al-Warraq might be attributed to the cost of rice in comparison to
> wheat
> and barley.  The speculation might be further reinforced by comparative
> cost data, contemporary recipes for simple boiled cereals, other other
> observations from the period.  Not an area where I am familiar with the
> available resources.

Given that al-Warraq isn't holding back on any of the other ingredients, I
don't think cost was a particular factor for him. However, I'm perfectly
willing to concede that the rice can be justified; I was going to serve it
in any case. It's other side dishes with which I am more concerned at this
stage.

Le meas,
Aodh

IIRC, al-Warraq has recipes for eggplant, cabbage, carrots and beans (which
might mean favas or black-eyed peas) which may function as sides.  Why not
post the tentative menu and how you plan to structure the feast.  It might
help us with ideas.

Bear