[Sca-cooks] Carrots

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Sep 6 14:00:03 PDT 2014

Usually, I just ignore the issue.  According to a number of sources (which
may be proved wrong by DNA analysis), the orange carrot is derived from the
yellow.  Ibn-al-Awwam noted carrots being cultivated at Seville in the 12th
Century.  There are no particular details about the plant, but they were
likely red carrots which started appearing in other European countries in
the 13th and 14th Century.  Prior to the 13th Century in Europe, white
carrots would have been the norm and they persisted in French cooking until
well after red and yellow carrots became the established order.  I don't
know of a commercial source for white carrots, but the dark purple "reds"
are available at some specialty grocers.  The forerunners of the modern
orange carrots started showing up in the Netherlands and England in the 16th
Century.

I have seen no contemporary reference that ties the development of the
orange carrot to he House of Orange.  The hybridization was to produce a
sweeter, better textured carrot and the color was incidental nationalism.

Bear