[Sca-cooks] Carrots and Rice

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Sep 7 15:51:59 PDT 2014

Depends. Charlemagne's Capitulary De Villis famously includes a long list
of vegetables and herbs to be grown (even if translations of these tend to
be  iffy).

_http://books.google.com/books?id=oJowAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22de%20villis%22%20jardin
&pg=PA5#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=oJowAAAAYAAJ&dq="de%20villis"%20jardin&pg=PA5#v=onepage&q&f=false)

The 1321 accounts for a future bishop's estate mention wild leeks, leeks,
cabbage, onions, scallions, garlic, broad beans, peas, spinach, lettuce,
borage,  orache, chard or cardoon, spring onion, parsley, hyssop, Caulet
cabbage, and  clary.

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-peacocks-what-most-medieval.html

No doubt similar accounts can be found, as well as the various literary
references to specific foods.

Otherwise, there are non-manorial sources. A 14th century dietetic for a
monastery in Liege mentions: broad beans, peas with bacon; long vegetables,
leeks (as a dish, in tarts, balls, in scabwort); greens in milk, turnip
greens  (in milk); greens/herbs; parsley, parsley roots, hyssop; root
vegetables; onions  and green onions, civet (with onions), garlic, yellow garlic.
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-fourteenth-century-dietetic-belgian.h
tml

Among the foods at the hospital of Hesdin were broad beans, peas, beets,
borage, cress, parsley, onion, garlic, apples, pears, walnuts, cherries,
peaches, and strawberries.
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/french-hospital-food-in-middle-ages.htm

Jim Chevallier

Beside Bolivar: The Edecán  Demarquet
https://www.createspace.com/4871441

"Demarquet does not know  how to lie or slander; I believe him loyal and
sincere."
Simon  Bolivar

In a message dated 9/7/2014 12:53:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,