[Sca-cooks] Carrots and Rice

James Chevallier jimcheval at aol.com
Sun Sep 7 20:12:19 PDT 2014

There's a listing in a Carolingian manorial record called the
Capitulaire de Villis (basically instructions from Charles to the
managers of his estates) online at
http://www.le.ac.uk/hi/polyptyques/capitulare/latin2english.html The
food-related stuff is near the bottom of the page.

 This is a very useful and generally well done site. Just be aware that the translations they offer seem to be old ones and certainly are not accurate in some cases.

It's also useful to look at the Brevium Exempla, which were actual inventories of estates, as opposed to the theoretical guidelines of De Villis:
http://www.le.ac.uk/hi/polyptyques/brevium/site.html

The contrast is fairly striking. One very frustrating point is that fasiloum (translated in the De Villis as "kidney bean") doss not appear, just as nothing corresponding to it seems to appear in archeology either. Clearly - whatever it exactly was - it existed in early Medieval France, but as a practical matter it always seems to be broad beans and field peas that are actually noted.

Another famous source is the Plan of St. Gall, though the layout of the crops may have been completely theoretical:

http://www.stgallplan.org/en/index_plan.html

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com