[Sca-cooks] Green almond, fresh chickpeas

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Apr 10 21:36:18 PDT 2015

>Yesterday, while wandering through the Middle East neighborhood of
>one my local towns, I saw a couple of things in the grocery stores
>that got me pretty excited: green almonds and fresh chickpeas. I
>really wanted to just buy and play with them, but I am not aware of
>any historic recipe that uses either of these ingredients. Any
>suggestions?
>
>I know that I could probably use the chickpeas in any of the many
>dishes that call for them, but all the recipes that I have looked at
>or can recall use dried chickpeas. I'm looking for recipes that
>specifically call for the fresh ones.

I'm not sure about the chickpeas, but Rumpolt a recipe that calls for
unripe almonds

Ochsen 52.  Take the roast from the back of the ox/ wash it off/ and
salt it/ stick it on (a spit)/ and let it roast/ and when the ox is
young/ then the roast will be even more tender/ then one finds on
whole oxen much better roasts than this.  (I read that as young
cattle are tender, but older ones taste better).

And when you want to dress it/ then take new walnuts/ that you have
broken off from the tree/ while they are still in the green shell/
take the kernel out from it/ and shell them/ also green almonds/ that
are still in the shell/ shell and crush them with walnuts and garlic
a toe (a clove of garlic) or two.

Take a fair white weck bread/ and slice it/ pour a good hen broth/
that is lightly salted/ that there is no drop of fat on it/ a little
in a dish/ soak the weck in it/ and let become cold together/

Then take the bread with the walnuts/ almonds and garlic in a mortar/
and pound together/ and if it is too thick/ then take the broth/ in
which the bread soaked/ and make it thin with it/ then it stays a
beautiful white.

And when you want to dress it/ then put it there under (put the sauce
with the meat)/ and make it not warm/ but rather leave cold/ or give
it (the sauce) separately in a dish.  And one call it white gesipff/
in Italian called Maniade/ is a good lordly dish/ you might give for
king and Caesar.

Kappaun 22.  A capon to prepare with nuts (probably walnuts).  Take
unripe walnuts/ that are cleanly shelled/ also fresh shelled almonds/
crush them with each other/ Then take a weck bread/ that in a capon
broth/ that is not fatty/ has soaked/ if it becomes too thick/ then
take a little cold broth from a capon/ make it soft/ also put a
little garlic in it/ give under or over a capon.  In Italian one
calls this dish Maniade.

The Florilegium has several comments about this recipe: .
http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/garlic-sauces-msg.html

Ranvaig