[Sca-cooks] Green almond, fresh chickpeas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 19:32:20 PDT 2015

Galefridus asked:
<<< I know that I could probably use the chickpeas in any of the many dishes
that call for them, but all the recipes that I have looked at or can
recall use dried chickpeas. I'm looking for recipes that specifically
call for the fresh ones. >>>

Ok, how do you know whether the recipe is calling for fresh or dried chickpeas if it doesn’t explicitly say either?

There are several chickpeas recipes in the peas-msg file in the Florilegium.

Just because the recipe eventually says to boil the peas, do you assume they start out dried?

For instance:
<<<
>From Forme of Curye:

73. Chyches. Chickpeas. Take chickpeas and lay them in hot ashes all night or all day, or else lay them in hot embers. In the morning, wash them in clean water, and cook them over the fire with clean water. Bring to a simmer and add oil, whole garlic cloves, saffron, powder forte and salt; simmer until done and dish it up. >>>

If you laid dried chickpeas in the ashes all day, I might expect them to burn, at least before fresh ones would.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris