[Sca-cooks] Green almond, fresh chickpeas

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 12 02:08:16 PDT 2015

Green almonds are not yet at the nut stage. There is no hard shell. The outside is green and slightly fuzzy. The inside is like a slightly milky colored gel. Traditionally they are eaten as they are (you can't peel them, there's no nut inside), dipped in salt, as a snack. I have a vague memory of reading something about them in a period text, but can't recall which.

Fresh chickpeas are green in color and, altho firm, are edible lightly cooked. I don't recall any recipes for them in period cookbooks, but i'm not saying there aren't any, just my memory.

I'm currently in Lochac, so rather far from my books and can't double check.

Urtatim