[Sca-cooks] A&S Challenge, Blog, & Something Cool

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Apr 26 18:33:01 PDT 2015

Pleased to announce that I am within one or two of finishing the Society's A&S 50 Challenge. To make it more challenging, I started a blog to go along with writing and publishing articles.

http://commonplaceboke.blogspot.com

[Because for most of the Challenge, I was concentrating on writing and publishing, I will mention my latest article is in the latest Tournaments Illuminated.]

 In all I managed to complete 250 for a personal A&S Five Times 50 Challenge.

 I am told that I should mention this discovery. While working on the blog, I discovered the coolest thing.

 I was working on recipes found in Harl. MS 2378. It makes up part of Goud Kokery as published in Curye on Inglische. It turns out the manuscript is now digitized at the British Library. The text accompanying MS 2378 states the following regarding the dating:

 "The text is dated to circa 1395 in C. B. Hieatt, T. Nutter and J. H. Holloway, Concordance of English Recipes: Thirteenth through Fifteenth Centuries, Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies, 312 (Tempe, Arizona, 2006), p. xiv."

http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDisplay.aspx?ref=Harley_MS_2378

 So the Concordance is their source and by being named as an author, I am being used a source for the British Library. That’s pretty cool, I think.

Johnnae