[Sca-cooks] is arrowroot, tapioca and guar gum period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Aug 23 20:08:05 PDT 2015

Tapioca is cassava flour.  It's been in use in South and Central America for
at least 6.000 years.  In the Caribbean, it is used to make bread.  The
Spanish took over the recipe to make casabe bread and baking casabe for
chandlers became a thriving business in the Spanish Caribbean seaports in
the 16th Century.  As reference, try Cluster and Hernandez, The History of
Havana,
https://books.google.com/books?id=87vy8YzRnTgC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=history+casabe+bread&source=bl&ots=0Ds_KmpvyW&sig=A313Tf0cee3VyuQG_7pP_JABOzQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBjgKahUKEwi6osqf28DHAhUTQpIKHcqoA0Q#v=onepage&q=history%20casabe%20bread&f=false

Arrowroot was used in period, but doesn't seem to have made it into the
European sphere.  Guar gum is a modern product that is a substitute for
locust bean gum.

Bear

I am trying to document if arrowroot, tapioca and guar gum were used
in period.  I am making gluten free flat bread for a competition and
am trying to document ingredient.  Sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sindara