[Sca-cooks] BELLOTA WITH 13TH C GLUTEN FREE ACORN BREAD RECIPE

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 22:53:45 PDT 2015

<<< I've seen articles on the web that suggest you should boil acorn flour after grinding, then dry it. That might help with the consistency.

toodles, margaret >>>

Perhaps. But I suspect that this placing the flour in water is to leach out the bitter tannins that are present in many acorns.

However, this is the first time I’ve heard this problem with grinding acorns come up, in the admittedly few, discussions on eating acorns. So perhaps this is needed for consistency.

However, Suey, I suspect you are not grinding your acorns as much as pulverizing them, as you do to turn peanuts into peanut butter. I think you need a different tool than a food processor.

Here is some previous discussions on eating acorns.
nuts-msg (140K) 3/ 6/12 Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/nuts-msg.html

Stefan
I stop watching this list because it’s been inactive, and lo, you all get busy again. :-)
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris