[Sca-cooks] Jenkins and Forthcoming Books

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 10 07:11:25 PDT 2015

Odd thing about the author listings for this one:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/medieval-cooking-in-todays-kitchen-5751.html
indicates as Guillanedv says

Greg Jenkins is a mental health professional, pastoral counselor, artist, and lecturer. He is the founder and co-director of Soulful Expressions: Independent Art Survey and Psychological Consulting, an organization that conducts research into the meanings of patient artwork, and is an avid folklorist and collector of urban legends as well as the many aspects of history that make up the diverse peoples in our world today.

[You can look inside at the recipes here: http://www.schifferbooks.com/medieval-cooking-in-todays-kitchen-5751.html Click on the box pictured below the book jacket photo.]

Peregrine Books reports this for the same book: J. Gregory Jenkins, CPA, is Associate Professor of Accounting and Information Systems and the William S. Gay Research Fellow at Virginia Tech. He earned a Ph.D. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and an M.S. in accounting and a B.S.B.A. from Appalachian State University. Professor Jenkins lives with his wife, two daughters, and son in Blacksburg, Virginia.

http://www.peregrinebookcompany.com/book/9780764348426

I suspect the above attribution by Peregrine is wrong and the mental health professional is the right guy.
He probably is the Greg Jenkins who writes for Renaissance Magazine.

Booktopia.com lists Greg Jenkins as the author of The Saint Augustine Book of Ancient Cookery
Recipes and Libations from America's Oldest City
Paperback
Greg M Jenkins

Being sold for $67.99 but on sale for only $57.75

As a living history enthusiast who loves to partake in Renaissance faires and historically inspired feasts and banquets, Greg has examined the interesting and rather festive culinary history of Americaas oldest European settlement, St. Augustine, Florida. Greg has researched, translated, and prepared many of the time-honored recipes from Floridaas ancient past, using authentic cooking traditions from Spain, England, Europe and the Mediterranean. Each recipe, some older than 800 years old, is redesigned for modern chefs and kitchens. The recipes listed are simple and fun, providing historical information, preparation suggestions, and resources that will take you and your guests on a culinary journey into Floridaas colorful and vibrant past. Now, prepare to take a fascinating and educational journey into Floridaas ancient past with this collection of authentic recipes and cooking techniques that will offer you a rare look into a lost art, where each culinary creation will dazzle and impress you, your family, and guests for years to come!
-----

What might give us pause is this review of Maggie Black's The Medieval Cookbook. Revised edition from Amazon.

5Best of the best; a cookbook that would bring joy to the kings and queens of old.
ByGreg Jenkins, PhDon January 18, 2015
Format: Hardcover
You just can't a better book about medieval cookery than with the late Maggie Black's book. Great foods and drinks from the ancient world that can be made right in your own home. A must for any cook, newbie or expert, who has a love for history.

I don't find any other reviews by him of historical cookbooks.

If he thinks Maggie Black's volume is the cookery of the ancient world and the best book on medieval cookery around, that might not speak well of his research or collection.

Johnnae

snipped previous discussion