[Sca-cooks] Jenkins and Forthcoming Books

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:07:33 PDT 2015

Since the title contains "for modern kitchens", I'd even be happy with a
short description of how the adapted recipe differs from the original.  The
recipe for Welsh Cakes has self-rising flour as the first ingredient.  Just
tell me that it's quicker and easier than a yeast batter, or has a
pleasanter texture than unleavened, and I'd be satisfied

However... there is no such comment, and other recipes are worse.  I went
to Amazon, which seems to have more page images (and ones that can be
magnified).  The recipe for Anglesey Eggs is dated c.15th century. The
author breezily informs us that the recipe probably goes back to the
Vikings, and maybe even to the Romans, who had a settlement there.  I'm
sure the Vikings and Romans had access to eggs and cheese.  Mashed
potatoes?  Not so much.

Brighid ni Chiarain