[Sca-cooks] Does anyone know of an English language source for Pişmaniye (Turkish cotton candy)?

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 10 13:37:05 PDT 2015

Yeah, I'm aware of the difference.  I found out about it by watching a
video on a related recipe:

Hand-Pulled Cotton Candy: Dragon's Beard, Pashmak…:
https://youtu.be/auRNHI2nkIU
I think you may find this dish is differerent than modern cotton candy or
fairy floss. Modern cotton candy is sugar combined with coloring and
flavoring. The Turkish sweet incorporates butter roasted flour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMxl5GMo20 shows it being made

Let me check and see if I have moved Isin's book yet and what she she says.

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 3:58 PM, Alec Story <avs38 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> The Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi%C5%9Fmaniye)
claims
> that there's a 1430s reference to it, but the source referenced is a book
> and looks like it's in Turkish.  I'd love to have a citation in English
> that I could use to verify the date. Cotton candy looks like it would be
a fun dessert or subtlety if the date