[Sca-cooks] Ale with soup consistency

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 14:25:25 PDT 2015

I was recently given a copy of Georges Duby’s 1961 work, Rural Economy and
Country Life in the Medieval West. Early on in the book, speaking of the
9th and 10th century in England, Duby describes a form of ale that seems,
at best, unusual. ‘Ale had often the consistency of thick soup and so could
be counted perhaps more as a food than a drink’. He doesn't cite any source
for this, but it's an odd enough concept to follow up on.

Thus far, I've found various gruels (often milk based, and not fermented)
and kisiel, a Polish fermented barley soup (but also milk based) - but
nothing I'd really describe as a thick ale.

Now, the 60s weren't a time for rigorous research on topics like this, and
food wasn't Duby's focus. So is he making this up, or repeating hearsay, or
was there actually such an ale?

 Le meas,
Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where