[Sca-cooks] watermelons

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 20:41:12 PDT 2015

See if you can find the Pliny reference: 19, 67-8  20, 11-12. These do  not
align with anything relevant in the text I know.

In Book XIX, 23, Pliny has a passage which has been read to mean a  melon:

"It is only of late, too, that a cucumber of entirely new shape has been
produced in Campania, it having just the form of a quince.61 It was quite by
accident, I am told, that the first one acquired this shape in growing, and
it  was from, the seed of this that all the others have been reproduced.
The name  given to this variety is "melopepo." These last do not grow hanging,
but assume  their round shape as they lie on the ground. A thing that is
very remarkable in  them, in addition to their shape, colour, and smell, is
the fact that, when  ripe, although they do not hang from the stem, they
separate from it at the  stalk."

But there is no reason to believe this specifically refers to a watermelon;
 it is not even sure that it refers to a melon.

_https://books.google.com/books?id=IUoMAAAAIAAJ&dq=inauthor%3Apliny%20melope
po&pg=PA158#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(https://books.google.com/books?id=IUoMAAAAIAAJ&dq=inauthor:pliny%20melopepo&pg=PA158#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY: Late medieval  bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/06/french-bread-history-late-medieval-brea
d.html

In  a message dated 7/25/2015 7:42:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,