[Sca-cooks] watermelons and Pliny long

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jul 26 17:54:06 PDT 2015

Finally, back to this question. Jules Janick mentions "References to cucurbits are scattered in ancient literature, notably in three 1st century cetexts by Dioscorides, Columella and Pliny, which, remarkably, were written within 18 years of each other, and in compilations of Jewish laws, known as the Mishna and Tosefta, which are derived from rabbinical statements of the 1st century bce through the 2nd century ce. A number of ancient paintings, mosaics and sculpture depicting cucurbits from around the Mediterranean region pre- and post-date these writings." For Pliny he then says, "Cucurbits are described in Book 19, which is in volume 5, and Book 20, which is in volume 6, with translations by Rackham (1950) and Jones (1951), respectively." [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759226/]

In that same paper it reads:

"Pliny (Book 19, 24: 69–70) wrote that the cucumis and the cucurbita were similar in plant growth habit and had similar cultural requirements, adversely affected by cold but thriving when well irrigated on fertilized soil. He observed that their seeds were often sown during the spring or early summer. Although he considered 21 April to be the most suitable date, he noted that some preferred to plant the cucurbita on 1 March and the cucumis on 7 March. He wrote: These two plants both climb upward with shoots creeping over the rough surface of walls right up to the roof, as their nature is very fond of height. They have not the strength to stand without supports, but they shoot up at a rapid pace, covering vaulted roofs and trellises with a light shade. Owing to this they fall into these two primary classes, the roof-gourd and the common gourd which grows on the ground; in the former class a remarkably thin stalk has hanging from it a heavy fruit which a breeze cannot move. The gourd as well as the cucumber is made to grow in all sorts of long shapes, mostly by means of sheathes of plaited wicker, in which it is enclosed after it has shed its blossom, and it grows in any shape it is compelled to take, usually in the form of a coiled serpent. But if allowed to hang free it has before now been seen three yards long. Then there is a most telling description of the cucumis by Pliny: particulatim cucumis floret, sibi ipse superflorescens, et sicciores locos patitur, candida lanugine obductus, magisque dum crescit [The cucumber makes blossoms one by one, one flowering on the top of the other, and it can do with rather dry situations; it is covered with white down (lanugine), especially when it is growing]. Although both melons (Cucumis melo) and cucumbers (C. sativus) produce more than one flower per node, which usually do not reach anthesis at once, only the young fruits of Cucumis melo are densely covered with soft, white hairs, i.e. are downy. The young fruits of Cucumis sativus are glabrous except for tubercles and spines. Likewise, extraordinary length of the fruit can be achieved in C. melo but not C. sativus. Clearly, Pliny was describing snake-like melons, C. melo subsp. melo Flexuosus Group."….
"Besides the commonly known cucumis and cucurbita, there was, according to Pliny, an epithet for another cucurbit, and this he defined clearly: Curious to say, just recently a new form of cucumber has been produced in Campania, shaped like a quince. I am told that first one grew in this shape by accident, and that later a variety was established grown from seed obtained from this one; it is called apple pumpkin[melopepo]. Cucumbers of this kind do not hang from the plant but grow of a round shape lying on the ground; they have a golden colour. A remarkable thing about them, beside their shape, colour and smell, is that when they have ripened, although they are not hanging down they at once separate from the stalk when ripe, although they do not hang from the stem, they separate from it at the stalk (Book 19, 23:67). Separation of the ripened fruit from the peduncle is a common characteristic of melon, Cucumis melo, not cucumber, C. sativus. Clearly, melopepo was a form of C. melo. It also differed distinctly from the long-fruited melons commonly grown and consumed by his contemporaries by its being grown only on the ground (never climbing), by its round shape and its being harvested upon attaining full maturity, when it changed colour. It can also be inferred that upon ripening and separating from the peduncle, the fruit was aromatic, a further characteristic distinguishing melons from other cucurbits."
"Another epithet used by Pliny probably to indicate a cucurbit was pepones. He used it twice, once apparently in reference to large melons: … those of Moesia the largest. When they are exceptionally big they are called pumpkins [pepones] (Book 19, 23: 65). In the other instance (Book 20, 6: 11), the pepones were described as such: Qui pepones vocantur refrigerant maxime in cibo et emolliunt alvum. [The gourds called pepones make a very refreshing food, and are also laxative.] The description as very refreshing suggests watermelon, Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Matsum. & Nakai. Pliny followed this statement with medicinal applications of the fruit and root of this plant."
Earlier the text reads: "In the translation of Dioscorides by Beck (2005), there are six epithets which can be identified as cucurbits: ampelos leuke, ampelos melaine, kolokyntha, sikyos agrios, sikyos hemeros and pepon. ….Pepon was mentioned in the same section as sikyos hemeros. The pepon was described as having a rind which can be applied to the top of a child's head. This suggests a large fruit with a firm exocarp. The word pepon has the connotation of ‘ripe’ or ‘cooked’, particularly in reference to a cucurbit that is not eaten until ripe. Pepon appears to have been applied to watermelon as, according to Stol (1987), the Greek physician Galen (129–200 ce) specifically used the term sikyopepon (literally ‘ripe cucurbit’) for watermelon."

So let's try Loeb and see what is there. Next post…

Johnna