[Sca-cooks] unsweet melons?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jul 28 14:47:19 PDT 2015

Melons are found in four genera:  Benincasa, Citrullus, Cucumis, and
Momordica.  Sweet melons are specifically Cucumis melo.  All other melons
are not "sweet melons" by definition.  There are melons that are not very
edible and others that are used only in cooking.

For further info, you might look at Medieval Emergence of Sweet Melons,
Cucumis melo (Cucurbitaceae)
http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/110/1/23.short .

Bear

<<< Otherwise, "The time and place of emergence of sweetthought to have
reached Europe from the east near the end of the 15th century.” >>>

What other kinds of melons are there, than “sweet melons”?

I’m probably biased or just unknowledaged, because about the only melon I’ve
like so far is watermelon. But are there sour melons? Or bad tasting melons?
Or salty melons or some such?

Stefan