[Sca-cooks] Humoral Theory

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 04:38:48 PDT 2015

 While digging through the bibliography of one resource, I came across a
Greek medical manual which concentrated on humoral theory:
the Pseudo-Aristoteles Supplementa Problematorum. Where I am used to seeing
references to humoral theory only in reference to food, this work covers a
much broader range of human physiological issues. No surprises there, but
it was interesting to get a broader perspective over the basis of much of
the cuisine of medieval Europe. Interesting, too, was the scope of the work
(it includes sections on animals) as well as what ideas have endured. For
example, from book 2.7:

"Why do some people have intercourse more than other? Because some are
hotter than others."

Some things never change.

Guillaume