[Sca-cooks] watermelons

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jul 30 20:46:07 PDT 2015

There is a lot of variation in watermelons.  Here is a selection of modern
cultivars including some that look like they might be similar to painting if
cut across rather than length wise.

The same type of melon shows up in several paintings by Caravaggio, so it
probably is a common watermelon of the day, but I doubt it is the only
watermelon varietal around given some of the variants that show up in
herbals.  It's possible the artists chose this melon for its artistic look.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/caravaggio/08.html
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/caravaggio/15.html
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/caravaggio/16.html
http://www.wikigallery.org/wiki/painting_371031/%28after%29-Abraham-Brueghel/Still-Life-Life-With-Grapes%2C-A-Melon%2C-Figs%2C-Plums%2C-Peaches-And-Various-Flowers-In-A-Landscape

The seed structure is not unusual.  As far as I have been able to determine,
six roughly circular seed grouping extend longitudinally through all seeded
watermelons, but I haven't been able to verify this opinion.  The thick rind
and spiral seed structure are similar to C. lanatus var. citroides.  The
flesh color is that of C. lanatus var. lanatus.  Both subspecies are
watermelons and can interbreed, so it is possible that the melon illustrated
is a hybrid.  The culinary differentiation between the subspecies is
generally that lanatus represents the sweet dessert watermelons that can be
eaten raw while citroides are hard fleshed and somewhat bitter and are
usually cooked, pickled or preserved.

The Egyptian melon of Antiquity and the early Roman melon are probably
citron melons (citroides).

Todd Wehner (NC State horticulturalist) points out that seedless watermelons
are triploids (three sets of genes) which increases the genes providing
taste and aroma giving you more of a good thing.  Insipid flavor in a
seedless watermelon is a result of when they were harvested and how far they
travelled.

Bear

<<<A Renaissance painting  reveals how breeding changed watermelons
http://www.vox.com/2015/7/28/9050469/watermelon-breeding-paintings

An interesting detail here is that older watermelons seem to have had seed
cavities, though roughly spiral shaped. This means the seeds might not have
been  embedded in the flesh as they are now. >>>

Thank you for posting this. Wow. a lot more rind in that medieval
watermelon. In only 500 years. That clarifies some of the earlier discussion
on the ‘Roman’ melon and why that description may differ from what we think
of as watermelon.

I have wondered recently whether our search for seedless watermelons has
traded off taste for less seeds. But looking at that painting, it sure looks
like the modern watermelons would taste better.

Stefan