[Sca-cooks] watermelons

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 15:34:15 PDT 2015

Glad it's helpful.

Let me add quickly that I then went out and looked at various seventeenth
century images of watermelon and found that there was a remarkable variety
in  the seed dispositions. Some had clusters of clear seed cavities; others
had  embedded seeds, but in a neat pattern; etc. So this was clearly very
variable.

Of course it does mean that all the reasoning around Anthimus' use of melon
 as possibly meaning watermelon, because he mentions eating the flesh mixed
with  the seeds, has to be viewed under far more complex angles. The
watermelon of his  time may no more have had seeds mixed into the flesh than the
melons. Or  not....

The Cambridge history of food says plainly that watermelons go back to
Egypt. A woman (whom I know only under a pseudonym) is finishing a book on the
history of melons and essentially says that everything early is too
uncertain to  make any definitive statements. (She also says that "pumpkin" was
used to refer  to a variety of large gourds.) She's not convinced by Dalby on
watermelon, but  thinks he's right on "cucumeres" (i.e., it was a kind of
snake melon).

What we need is more ancient seeds, and some good cloning.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Late medieval bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/06/french-bread-history-late-medieval-brea
d.html

In a message dated 7/29/2015 3:11:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,