[Sca-cooks] OOP Book: The Market Assistant

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 09:00:11 PDT 2015

OK, no peacock, but late medieval cooks need not despair; it seems that
swan was still perfectly acceptable:

"Domesticated swan.—There are several persons in this country that have
these beautiful and graceful birds domesticated, and keep them more as an
ornament than for the table. In the waters of Central Park large numbers are to
 be seen daily.
In  England, swan-feasts are common in the months of September and
November, and  often as late as Christmas.
The  young, or cygnet, is considered a capital dish, very highly esteemed,
and never  better than in the month of November. Yarrell says: "The
town-clerk of Norwich  sends a note from the town-hall to the public swanherd, the
corporation, and  others who have swans and swan-rights, on the second Monday
in August. They are  collected in a small stream or pond, the numbers
varying from fifty to seventy,  and many of them belonging to private
individuals. They begin to feed  immediately, being provided with as much barley as
they can eat, and are usually  ready for killing early in November. They vary
in weight, some reaching to  twenty-eight pounds. They are all cygnets. If
kept beyond November, they begin  to fall off, losing both flesh and fat, and
the meat becomes darker in color and  stronger in flavor."
Ducks.—There  are many breeds of ducks which are very fine for the table,
among which are the  Muscovy, topknot, Cayuga black, etc. A cross between the
common and Muscovy  produces a very large bird at an early age, and is
considered by many the  choicest duck.
The  young, or spring-duck, is always the best; but sometimes to select is
rather  difficult for the uninitiated, as it requires the experienced eye
and hand to  judge both the young duck and goose. There are, however, some
general signs  which are found correct. The joints in the legs will break by
their own weight;  the windpipe will also break easily under the pressure of
the fingers. The lower  end of the flat breast-bone should be soft,  and,
above all, they should be plump and fat."

Otherwise, this response to the first edition makes me wonder how Hugh
Capet - founder of the Capetian dynasty - would have reacted to claims
(probably  spurious) that his grandfather was a butcher:

"He  treats genealogy as he would an ox. He bleeds, cuts, dissects, and
flays without  remorse"

To the Editors of the Sunday Times:
"Gentlemen, — I have just arisen from the  perusal of a very singular sort
of book lately published by one Thomas F. De  Voe,1 member of the New York
Historical  Society, etc.,' as he signs himself on the title-page, and '
Butcher,' as he  writes after his signature to the preface. The work in question
is called 'The  MarketBook,' and professes to contain 'a historical account
of the public  markets in the cities of New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and
Brooklyn, &c.,  &c, &C.' The author appears to have taken a great deal of
pains to  gather facts and dates, and I have no doubt that his book will be
treasured up  as a valuable contribution to local history. His researches
have led him into  many interesting fields of knowledge, and occasionally he
digresses from the  main subject in a most agreeable manner and with very
entertaining results.
"It  seems to me, however, that he might have spared the feelings of
several of the  first families in New York by omitting to mention some
disagreeable and  humiliating facts. He treats genealogy as he would an ox. He bleeds,
cuts,  dissects, and flays without remorse. Without the slightest regard for
the  sensitive feelings of the present generation, he publishes to the
world — and  gives names and dates, tool — that many of our wealthiest
citizens, residing in  the Fifth Avenue, or living in luxury abroad, are descended
from butchers!
"Now,  you will allow, Messrs. Editors, that a man is not responsible,
morally,  socially, or otherwise, for the conduct of his grandfather, tf my
grandfather  chose the trade of a butcher, why should I be blamed for it? This
is my case  exactly. My father's father was a butcher, and, just as my
family had almost outlived the disagreeable memory, along comes this ' member of
the New York Historical Society — Thomas F. De Voe, Butcher,' and blurts
out the whole thing  before the world. He deliberately puts upon record a fact
which I have always  endeavored to keep from my children, and of which my
very wife was ignorant  until she saw my grandfather's name conspicuously
paraded in the book.
"There  may be no remedy for this outrage. The book may not be libelous.
The law may  give me no relief. If I were to sue Mr. De Voe, he might admit
the publication,  and justify, as the lawyers call it, by proving my paternal
ancestor's trade,  which would only give greater notoriety to a circumstance
I had hoped might pass  out of human recollection. Besides, there might be
two or three butchers on the  jury, and then my chance for damages would be
small indeed.
"All  I can do, therefore, is to denounce the author of' The Market-Book'
as a  reckless disturber of family pride. In behalf of many proud and wealthy
families  of New York, I denounce him. He might have told the world all
about Bear  Market and The Market, when they were built,  where they stood, &C.
; but he should have kept to himself the names of the  men who sold meat
there. He had no right to remind us that our grandfathers  trundled mutton to
market in a wheelbarrow, and then carried it to their  customers on a wooden
tray. The cause of historical truth, for which Mr. De Voe.  affects so much
veneration, would have been quite as well served had he omitted  names and
disagreeable details. It is to be hoped that these suggestions will,  in the
next edition of his book, receive the attention to which they are
entitled. Should they be disregarded, I now give him due notice and timely  warning
that I shall not be responsible for the consequences. Your obedient  servant,

"An Indignant Gentleman.
"Gramercy  Park, March 11, 1862." —The Times and Meuenger.

Jim  Chevallier

Medieval food before the Crusades
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606317516269587/
The  Bread History Lounge
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1543624959240712/

In a message dated 6/7/2015 4:34:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,