[Sca-cooks] OOP Book: The Market Assistant

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 08:26:48 PDT 2015

Interesting indeed - even if there is no peacock (and yet peacock was
served at Delmonico's at least once). Lots of turtle of course (which makes me
wonder why we don't see more of it in our period, especially since people
were  forever repurposing aquatic animals as "fish" for fast days). And don't
miss the  intro on "casualty meats" (which, arguably ARE addressed by
medieval  penitentials) and, not only other countries' use of horse-meat, but the
merits  of... mule-meat. (Which at least comes closer to the Romans' taste
for wild ass,  even though they frowned upon eating horses.)

Jim  Chevallier

Medieval food before the Crusades
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606317516269587/
The  Bread History Lounge
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1543624959240712/

In a message dated 6/7/2015 4:34:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,