[Sca-cooks] "The Devil's Cup"

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jun 9 05:38:26 PDT 2015

The Devil's Cup is not a history of coffee and is not particularly useful in
understanding the history of coffee in the context of the SCA.  It is larded
with bits and pieces of coffee history which may be of interest to those of
us who are interested in the history of coffee, but you have to have some
background in the subject to separate the gems from the matrix, so to speak.
Hattox, Coffee and Coffeehouses, and Ukers, All About Coffee, are the
sources that will provide the best information for history in the SCA
period.

The book is largely a travelogue covering the locales and inhabitants
involved in the history of coffee.  Fun to read, but trivial.  It's not so
much about scholarship as it is about personal interaction.

Bear

Recently in some discussion on coffee, Cariadoc mentioned this book. When my
order from www.hamiltonbook.com arrived today, I noticed that I had ordered
this book. From the first, I was wondering how good the scholarship was or
whether it was useful in studying our period. I haven’t had a chance to read
the book yet.

Anyway, even with mixed reviews, it might be worth it for $5. (Of course, by
the time I finished selecting books I was interested in, my total was
several hundred dollars of books.)

Stefan
(I’m not just an enabler, I’m an addict)

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-devils-cup-coffee-the-driving-force-in-history
======
THE DEVIL'S CUP: Coffee, the Driving Force in History
Stewart Lee Allen
Published at $25.00
$4.95
(Save $20.05)

A self-appointed social anthropologist of coffee, Allen crossed the globe to
uncover the truth behind the effect coffee has had on world empires and the
destiny of mankind. Reveals a fascinating story as he ignores forbidden
borders and travels to dangerous domains.

Format: Hardbound Pages: 231 Publisher: Soho

ISBN: 9781569471746 Item #: 7574657
======

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com