[Sca-cooks] "What Did the Romans Eat?"

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:43:32 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:56 AM, <JIMCHEVAL at aol.com> wrote:

> Yes, accurate in the main. "Corn" is simply the old English term for grain
> and is found all through nineteenth century texts and translations; it may
> still  have that meaning, though I think the English today are very aware
> of
> its use to  refer to what they call "maize".

  I was brought up in Ireland referring to all cereals as corn (as opposed
to the more specific wheat, barley and oats). I think I saw maize for the
first time in the mid to late 90s, and it still doesn't really come to mind
if someone says "corn"; we generally know it as "sweetcorn".

  Le meas,
  Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where