[Sca-cooks] New Florilegium article on Kumiss and kumiss making

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 20 17:26:53 PDT 2015

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mentioned this file here, a week or two ago, but it is now online.
>> This is from a past (or current? Baron Drake are you still here?) list member.
>>
>> Now, you too, can make that delicious brew of Kumiss that you've been wanting to make, whether from
>> cow's or mare's milk. In the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium.
>> Kumiss-How-To-art (17K) 5/ 3/15 "Kumiss - A Practical Fermentation Guide" by Baron Drake Morgan, OL.
>> http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/Kumiss-How-To-art.html
>
>Urtatim then replied to this with:
><<< The current King and Queen of Lochac have Mongolian personae, so Baron Drake make a Mongol feast for them at Rowany Festival. >>>
>
>I assume you meant ?made?.

Yes, typos happen.

><<< I helped out during the preparation and was lucky enough to get to eat the feast.>>>
>
>Want to write it up for me? It did take several years to get this article out of Drakey.

I'd rather Drake did himself, but he may not be on this list anymore... i'm not sure. I have the menu at home somewhere. I'll try to remember to send it. He used recipes from "A Soup for the Qan" and from the article published in a Petits Propos Culinaires, "Ni Tsan and his 'Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating' "

Here is his preliminary menu, from an e-mail to me from him - some items may have changed by the time of the event:
- Suckling Pig, roasted, basted (towards the end) with honey, rice wine, green shallots and Sichuan pepper
- Boiled Lamb (2 ways):
o   Seu Soup – lamb cooked with pomegranate molasses
o   Mastajhi Soup – lamb and chickpeas
- Yuvqa (Flat Bread)
- Snow Temple Vegetable
- "How to cook Mushrooms"
- Rice
- Fresh and Dried Fruit. Musk sugar Wafers with Baron’s seal

><<< I drank several cups of Drake's kumiss. It was quite tasty and sweet. I don't drink a lot of alcohol, but even i felt it was a bit low. >>>
>
>Low in what? alcohol content? quality?

Low in alcohol. If the quality had been low, i wouldn't have drunk even one cup of it.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)