[Sca-cooks] Uses for Whey?

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 12 07:39:36 PST 2015

Thanks for the responses!

I think the Icelandic stuff was what I had in my head.  Looking for more
info on that, I found this scadian's blog
http://medievalcheese.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-preserve-vegetables-in-whey.html?view=classic
which at least indicates that literally pickling in 100% whey works, and
has some archaeological support, although who knows exactly what they were
doing in Iceland.  It seems unlikely to me that Icelanders would build
large vats to store whey if they were only using it as a culture starter.

Ricotta is a good idea, and I've done it, but it doesn't really solve the
problem of having too much whey because it just extracts protein from it.
You still have the whey afterwards.  My goal is to use the whey for
something constructive and not pour it down the drain.

When I get to trying this I'll monitor the pH of the whey - if it doesn't
get below 4.6 fairly quickly there's a food safety risk from botulism
toxin.  I suspect the whey will be more than acidic enough, though.

Alec Story