[Sca-cooks] The Edible Monument

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:10:34 PDT 2015

 >Is this in conjunction with the?Edible Monument: The Art of Food for
 >Festivals?exhibit that opens at the Getty next week in S. Cal? I'm in
 >LA next week on a business trip and I'll be staying over the weekend
 >so I can see that and Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: Food in the Middle
 >Ages and Renaissance?which is also opening next week.
 >Several CAIDian cooks will be joining me.
 >Juana IsabellaWest

There are several things going on in that area. One exhibit is at the
Getty Center (http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/eat_drink/) entitled
Eat, Drink and Be Merry: Food in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. The
exhibition is open from October 13, 2015 to January 3, 2016.

Another exhibit is detailed at
http://www.getty.edu/research/exhibitions_events/events/art_of_food/index.html#sculpture

That web site lists the lecture series on food, starting in November and
going through March. Ivan Day is doing three on January 31:  Making
Sugar Sculpture (two demo sessions) and Eating the Edifice.
There is a lecture on “Dining Well at the Medieval Court” with Christina
Normore (November 15); “Playing the Scalco: Serving Meals Directly from
Renaissance Banquet Literature” by Ken Albala (January 10); “Royal
Cavities: The Bitter Implications of Sugar Consumption in Early Modern
Europe” with Joseph Imorde (February 21) which outlines sugar
consumption in the 16th and 17th centuries; and “Bartolomeo Scappi’s
Paper Kitchens” with Deborah Krohn (March 6).

Ivan Day has been in LA helping set up the Getty Research Institute
exhibit. [Silly egotistical note: Ivan forgot to bring a sample of
powdered red sanders for his display. He wrote to me and asked if I had
any extra he could use. So, if you see red sanders there, it was mine!]

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alyskatharine at gmail.com