[Sca-cooks] Recipe to cure leprosy

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 07:55:22 PDT 2015

On 18 Oct 2015, at 21:04, sca-cooks- wrote:JIMCHEVAL

> "Averroes says that among all birds a young hen that is fat is the
> healthiest bird and has the property of making a good nature. Its broth does the
> same and is good for lepers."
>
> Though he only says it is good for lepers, not that it will cure  them.
>
> He also says:
>
> "The meat of a hedgehog is good for lepers."
>
> So you could always try cooking one of those.

I see a misunderstanding with the title of this blog. There is no recipe to cure leprosy in the medieval manuscripts I have reviewed but as you say there are recipes good for lepers,  principally young chicken.

As a result I used Nola’s “Smooth sauce for fowl in the pot adapted from his Salsa Lisa para Volateria de Olla for my blog on Lepra as I did not have a hedgehog handy. The result is a thick chicken soup most delicious, perfect for a cold autumn day. It will be published on November 20th.