[Sca-cooks] Spanish Food Service Resources

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 08:20:44 PDT 2015

Greetings Lijsbet,
I cooked the Spanish PPF we did here in the West a few years ago that Brighid mentioned (waves at Brighid).
The service related part of Nola (before the recipes) deals primarily with the duties of the various officers of the household. I have the printed translation of that. I'll get you the particulars later in the week if you like.
We also used Arte de Cisoria by Enrique de Villena (1423) as a serving reference.
Please feel free to pick my brain on your upcoming project. Those of us involved in the Perfectly Period Feast*  movement are so pleased to see it spreading to other kingdoms.
* Perfectly Period Feast (as done here in the West) is to go beyond a feast where all the food is from a particular time and place to doing the service from that time and place as well (there are several period serving manuals out there) and making as much of the material culture as we can also fit the time and place (plates, bowls, drinking vessels, spoons, benches, napery, table clothes, etc.). Our first big one (there were smaller test runs before) was 1480's English, then we did 1520's Spanish, then 1550's Italian (I may be off on the years for that one). The folks up in An Tir did a late period Italian one earlier this year that was great. The next one in the West will be Burgundian in 2017. Ours have been every three years or so since there is *so* much prep work involved. Mistress Crystal of the Westermark started this creative lunacy and many of us have been having much fun with it ever since.
Juana Isabella