[Sca-cooks] Spanish Food Service Resources

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:07:54 PDT 2015

<<< I am involved in our kingdom's upcoming Perfectly Period Feast, which is
focused on 1526 Spain. It is my job to design and coordinate the menu for
the day - super exciting! However, I am hitting a road block when it comes
to the question of HOW the food was served. >>>

I’m suddenly a bit behind on this list. I hope this info is new.

Check out the FEASTS section in the Florilegium. Here are a few files that might be of use:
Fd-Service-MA-art (12K) 9/19/09 "Practical Foodservice in the Middle Ages” by THLady Avelyn Grene.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Fd-Service-MA-art.html

I’m not sure of the year, but there is this:
French-Tbl-Srv-art (7K) 5/22/04 An example of French table service translated by Angharad ferch Iorwerth.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/French-Tbl-Srv-art.html

Med-Fsts-CPHP-art (33K) 12/26/10 "Medieval Feasts - culinary creativity, pageantry, honour and prestige" by Lady Dominica de Zeragoza.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Med-Fsts-CPHP-art.html

Medievl-Feasts-art (16K) 2/24/05 "The Medieval Feast - An Event, Not Food” by Mistress Willow de Wisp.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Medievl-Feasts-art.html

Here is some of what this list has discussed on period feasts over the years:
p-feasts-msg (84K) 2/21/08 General comments about period feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-feasts-msg.html

I have a file on the first PP feast, but very little on the second and third? ones, because no one posted anything where I could see it, or posted it here. Several people did write up excellent reviews of the recent PP feast done in Lochac. Since it has now gotten buried on the Lochac FB group, I’m hoping to contact the authors and get permission to add that one to the Florilegium.

<<< We will be using Ruperto de Nola's 1520 El Llibre de Coch and its 1529
variant to create the menu. I understand that the beginning of this text
includes a service manual, however I have been unsuccessful in locating a
translated version of it. >>>

You may have already found this, I don’t know, but Mistress Brighid’s translation is in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section of the Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/idxfood-manuscripts.html

I hope this helps,
   Stefan
--------