[Sca-cooks] Dried fish question

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 8 20:27:06 PDT 2015

Al-Baghdadi has a recipe for Maqluba al-tirrikh, which involves frying
tirrikh, a kind of fish, boning it, crumbling it, mixing in eggs and
spices, and frying it. We've made it in the past using the Arberry
translation. Since we had no source for tirrikh we made maqluba al-catfish.

Looking at Perry's newer translation, I noticed that tarrikh are dried
fish of a particular variety. We are always interested in ways of
managing Pennsic without a cooler, so dried fish sounded interesting—the
more so since one of our campmates does not eat meat but does eat fish.

Our local Chinese supermarket carries a number of different varieties of
dried fish, most of them in the refrigerated section. I got one
yesterday from an unrefrigerated shelf and tried making a small amount
of the recipe. The result was not tasty—and the smell in the kitchen
unpleasant.

1. Does anyone have any information on what tirrikh were like, hence
what varieties of fish would be closest? Perry, in an old correspondence
I had with him, mentioned that salted fish from the relevant lake are
still sold in Istanbul under the name "kefal," which is the name of the
grey mullet. He doesn't know if what are now sold are the same as what
were called tirikh, and the grey mullet is a salt water fish, but it at
least suggests the possibility of looking for a fresh water fish in some
way similar to the mullet. Of course, even if I did that, I would still
have the problem of figuring out what kind of fish are in the packages
of dried fish in the Chinese grocery store.

2. Al-Baghdadi's recipe starts by frying the tirrikh, then boning it.
The dried fish I got was very dry, like wood. That made me wonder if
either something softer was being used or if the fish was rehydrated and
then fried and al-Baghdadi didn't bother to mention the first step.

Comments? Is anyone here better informed about dried fish than I am?

Incidentally, the grocery also had something labeled stockfish. I
believe it said it was salted. So another project is to find a period
recipe that says how to treat stockfish—I'm pretty sure I've seen one.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com