[Sca-cooks] Roast lamb with chestnuts

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 08:46:55 PDT 2015

I suppose you all have lots of roast lamb recipes that are delicious but once in a while I hit upon recipes to share, they are so delicious. I just tried:

CHESTNUTS ROASTED WITH LAMB ADAPTED FROM HUICI’S TRANSLATION OF ANÓN AL-ANDALUS 298. PLATO DE CASTAÑAS CON CARNE DE CORDERO, p 168

Ingredients

2 lbs lamb
2 lbs canned chestnuts in syrup
salt to taste

Preparation

PREHEAT OVEN TO 325ºF/160ºC

Cut tough lamb into small chunks[1]. Put it in a pot [a roasting pan was used] with an equal amount of chestnuts with syrup. Add salt and roast until done.  Carve the meat and put it on a platter.

A sauce was made with the chestnuts, the syrup from them and the pan drippings combined with 1 tbsp flour.
[1] As a sucking lamb was used, the leg was left whole and carved when cooked.

Butter is “tough" after this! Seriously, this is one of my best adaptions of lamb, which I love!