[Sca-cooks] Autumn cheese?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 20:26:58 PDT 2015

Pretty much what it sounds like. In the French Middle Ages, cheese was
rarely referred to in any precise terms, though Brie was probably the most
common exception. But already before the Crusades there was a reference to
"May"  (that is, spring) cheese. The Enseignemens uses the same term. But the
Viandier  says to use "fromage de gain" - fall cheese - for the same recipe.

These distinctions still endure, even if they are lost in the wealth of
other terms we use for cheese. Last year I bought some Dutch "spring cheese"
at  Trader Joe's.

For anyone who's interested, I took a look at medieval cheese some time
back on my blog:

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/old-regime-cheese-1-lost-cheeses-of.htm
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/old-regime-cheese-2-what-no-camembert.h
tml

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Renaissance/sixteenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/08/french-bread-history.html

In a message dated 9/16/2015 8:09:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,