[Sca-cooks] Structure of an Elizabethan Feast?

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Fri Apr 22 11:53:21 PDT 2016

So far I'm working from The English Housewife as well, so that text
looks awfully familiar :-)

Where did the 32 dishes/course thing come from?  We're looking at more
courses than that, spread out over far more time, and setting the
expectation that "fast" does not have anything to do with this day.
Courses will have entertainments in between, buying me time. I don't
remember at the moment 10 or 12 courses overall.  The one place where
"fast' matters is that when a course needs to hit, it needs to hit.  But
this is how we are selling the event from the outset, so hopefully it
will go over.  Who knows if it will work as a concept.

We are going above/below the salt, above is limited to... 20? seats,
below to 60?.  So I'm looking at a similar size to what you did, but
currently at 3x as many dishes.  Also doing a couple dishes to feed the
wait staff, but I can cook up a pot of stew in my sleep.

But from that it sounds like I'm insane, but going in the correct-ish
direction.

--
Joel Lord