[Sca-cooks] honey

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Apr 22 21:04:45 PDT 2016

One medieval Islamic honey candy I've tried to make is hulwa, I think
from al Baghdadi. When I make it with sugar, I end up with a hard candy.
When I make it with honey, I end up with a soft candy. I have not been
able to boil the honey down to a point where the honey hulwa is similar
to the sugar version.

But I don't know if I should be able to.

On 4/22/16 12:10 PM, Susan Lord wrote:
> I am not getting a handle on honey. As per the 13th Century Al Andalus MS there are several sweets calling for honey. See Perry/Friendman’s translation http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm <http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm>.
>
> I bought a candy thermometer but after 220 degrees I burn the honey. Either it turns out too burned and hard or too soft.
>
> My cleaning woman likes the hard version. When her husband talks too much she pops a ball into his mouth and he spends the rest of the evening sucking it.  But that’s not the point!

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/