[Sca-cooks] honey

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Apr 23 05:49:35 PDT 2016

If you want to master this recipe or series of recipes, perhaps you should start with a couple of
modern candy recipes which use honey and see if those can be made with
your type of honey in your location. (Modern honey, at least in the US, is filtered, processed,
and comes in jars; we seldom buy it direct from the beekeeper in the comb. Also there are
different types of honey. One website I looked at this am noted over 300 types all of which vary in
keeping qualities and tendencies leading to crystallization. )

Can you achieve success with modern simple recipes like these?

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/two-easy-honey-candy-recipes/

Candy making in general is a complex art. This article notes some of the
factors:
https://scienceandfooducla.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/sugar-chemistry-of-hard-candies/

Honey in this article is used as an interfering agent to impede crystallization.

That aspect of candy making is explored again in this article:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/12-23-02.html

You might also like this document on honey production and products. It includes recipes for honey candies.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm

Good luck

Johnnae